The first thing I ever learned how to bake were scones. I was 11 years old and we had a baking lesson in our home economics class at school that day. Afterwards I was so excited that I could finally bake (at least I thought I could lol). I have no idea what recipe we used that day, as it was eons ago, but this one is just as simple to make and you can use it for your little ones’ first baking lessons too. This is a sugar-free version, which is perfect for those who are on a sugar-free diet.
Basic Scone Dough
- Preheat the oven to 390°F/200°C. Grease a baking sheet.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together. Rub the margarine into the dry ingredients, until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Mix the eggs and milk together and add to the dry ingredients, forming a soft (but not sticky) dough.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and pat out lightly to a thickness of 20mm. Cut into rounds, squares, and triangles. Bake in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Serve with butter or a variety of jams.
Sign up for our newsletter so that you can be notified every time a new recipe is posted