I love chocolate cake so much that I have developed a habit of experimenting with different chocolate cake recipes (which gives me an excuse to eat chocolate cake regularly), and this one is right at the top, along with my favorite moist chocolate cake.
- In a saucepan, gently bring the butter, water, and cocoa powder to a boil. Cool slightly.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, caster sugar, and salt. Add the cooled cocoa mixture and mix well.
- Add the buttermilk and vanilla essence and mix well. Beat in the eggs.
- Pour into 2 x 20cm round greased cake tins and bake at 350°F/180°C for 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and cocoa powder until smooth. Remove
from the heat.
- Combine the icing sugar and vanilla essence. Add the cocoa mixture and milk and stir until smooth.
- Spread the icing between the two layers, on the top, and the sides of the cakes.
- You can make your own buttermilk using this recipe.
Sign up for our newsletter so that you can be notified every time a new recipe is posted