This moist sponge cake can be eaten on its own or incorporated into a trifle. You can even use it in place of the Swiss jam rolls in this trifle recipe.
Eggless Hot Milk Sponge Cake
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together. Add the sugar and apple puree.
- Heat the milk and butter in a small, heavy-based saucepan. Do not boil; stir until the butter is melted. Remove from the heat and add the essence.
- Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and beat until smooth. Spoon the mixture into two lined and greased 20cm round cake pans.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F/180°C for 20-25 minutes. Leave in the pans for a few minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Sandwich the cake layers with half of the icing. Use the remaining icing to ice the top of the cake.
- You can use a can of sliced pie apples to make puree or use ready-made apple sauce.
Sign up for our newsletter so that you can be notified every time a new recipe is posted