If you’re looking for a nice lunch or dinner idea, you can’t go wrong with fish and chips. You can use whatever type of fish you have on hand. Fish are good for our health and I like to have them at least once a week. I always prepare them in various ways, of course, and this is one of the ways I make them.
Fish and Chips
- Make the tartar sauce by combining the mayonnaise, sweet relish, and lemon juice; mix well and refrigerate until needed.
- Preheat the oil in a deep fryer to 325°F/160°C. Or place a pot, filled one-third full with oil, over medium heat.
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly and pat dry. Peel and cut them into fries or thick chips. Put them into the oil and fry them for about 3 minutes. Transfer the blanched potatoes to a bowl lined with paper towels and let them drain.
- Increase the temperature of the cooking oil to 375°F/190°C, or medium-high on a stovetop.
- Combine the flour, salt, pepper, baking powder, and egg; add the beer and whisk until the mixture becomes a smooth batter.
- Sprinkle the fish pieces liberally with the corn starch then dip them in the batter; let the excess drip off.
- Place the pre-cooked potatoes in the fryer basket and carefully submerge them in the hot oil.
- Carefully drop the fish pieces, one at a time, into the oil on top of the potatoes. Fry the combined fish and chips for 4 to 5 minutes or until brown and crispy.
- Transfer the fish and chips to fresh paper towels and sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Serve with malt vinegar and tartar sauce.
Fish and Chips
Sign up for our newsletter so that you can be notified every time a new recipe is posted