French toast grilled cheese is one of my daughter’s favorite breakfast foods. Whenever she volunteers to make breakfast, we know this is exactly what she will make. It is great for packed lunches, and it is quick and easy to make.
French Toast Cheddar Sandwiches
- Heat up a heavy skillet or cast iron griddle.
- Beat the eggs slightly in a bowl, add the milk (or cream), and salt; mix well and set aside.
- Spread the bread slices out on a flat working surface. Spread one side of four slices of bread lightly with the prepared mustard. Top each slice of bread with a slice of cheddar cheese. Butter the remaining four slices of bread and top each cheese slice with bread, butter side down.
- Heat the butter in the skillet or on the griddle. Carefully dip each sandwich into the egg mixture, coating both sides. Allow the excess egg mixture to drain back into the bowl. Dip only as many sandwiches at a time as will lie flat in the skillet or griddle.
- Cook over low heat until browned. Turn and brown the other side. Repeat for the remaining sandwiches and if necessary, add more butter to the skillet or griddle to prevent sticking.
- Or, you can place the sandwiches, after dipping, on a well-greased baking sheet and brown in the oven at 450°F/230°C for 8 to 10 minutes.
Sign up for our newsletter so that you can be notified every time a new recipe is posted