This Golden Madeira loaf is absolutely delicious. You can have it as it is or you can top it up with desiccated coconut to take it to a whole new level. (See the notes below for the coconut variation).
Golden Madeira Loaf
- Cream the butter and sugar. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition, until light and fluffy. Add the essence.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt and add, alternately with milk, to the butter mixture.
- Spoon into a greased 23cm loaf tin.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F/180°C for 30 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 320°F/160°C and bake for another 15 – 20 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make the coconut topping, beat egg whites from 3 large eggs. Add 3.38 fl oz (100ml) caster sugar and beat well. Add 1 cup desiccated coconut and mix. Spoon the mixture on top of the Madeira loaf before putting it in the oven.
Sign up for our newsletter so that you can be notified every time a new recipe is posted