Most children don’t like brown bread (I didn’t either when I was growing up), so if you’re looking for a brown bread that the kids will love, look no further. Unlike regular brown bread, this honey brown bread is soft and tender on the inside and it is so yummy that they’ll be asking for more. Try it out and let me know how they like it.
Honey Brown Bread
- Mix all the dry ingredients and honey in a bowl with a wooden spoon.
- Make a well in the center and pour in the water. Flour can vary so sometimes you may need to add more water or flour. The dough should not be too tough or sticky.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and start kneading. Feel free to stretch, punch or pull the dough in all directions. Any technique you choose will be fine, just keep kneading for 10 minutes for an even texture.
- Now roll the dough into a ball and place into a lightly greased container that can be covered.
- Place the dough in a warm place until it doubles in size. This will take about an hour.
- Once your dough has doubled, punch it down and take it out of the container. Now divide it into 2 even portions. Press the pieces out flat and roll into loaf shapes.
- Place the dough pieces into large greased loaf tins, cover and allow to rise.
- While the dough is rising, preheat your oven to 445°F/230°C.
- Once the dough has reached the top of the tin, remove the cover and place it in the preheated oven for 30 – 40 minutes. To check if it’s baked on the bottom crust, it should make a hollow sound when tapped.
Sign up for our newsletter so that you can be notified every time a new recipe is posted