I was introduced to Italian Cassata Gateau by my mother-in-law who had made it for a family member’s birthday. I enjoyed the cake so much, I had to ask her for the recipe. She kindly shared it with me and now I am sharing it with you.
Italian Cassata Gateau
- Preheat the oven to 320°F/160°C/gas mark 3. Grease a cake tin.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl.
- Add the sugar, margarine, eggs, and vanilla essence. Beat together until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon into the cake tin and smooth the top.
- Bake for 40 minutes until well risen and golden brown.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin for a few minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely.
- When cold, cut the cake lengthwise into 3 even-sized slices.
- Beat together the cheese, cream, sugar, orange rind, rum, and glace fruits. Set aside.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water or in a microwave.
- Stir in the coffee.
- Beat in the butter in small pieces and beat well until the mixture is creamy and glossy.
- Put the mixture into the refrigerator and chill until it is thick but can still be stirred.
- Sandwich the cake together with the filling mixture, making sure that the cake fits neatly together.
- Stand the cake on a large serving plate. Spread chocolate topping over the sides and top of the cake, reserving a little for decoration.
- Fill a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle with the remaining chocolate mixture. Pipe the cream onto the top and sides of the gateau.
- Decorate with glace fruits and leave the gateau in the fridge before serving.
- It is delicious served with single cream poured over.
Sign up for our newsletter so that you can be notified every time a new recipe is posted