This is going to be the best mac ‘n’ cheese you have ever tasted. It’s very delicious and it’s the ultimate comfort food. The cheese isn’t too overpowering but if you’re someone who prefers a strong cheese flavor (like me), you can go ahead and add some more.
Macaroni and Cheese Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C. Prepare a glass casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Add a pinch of salt and a splash of cooking oil to a pot of water and place over high heat. When it reaches a full boil, add the macaroni and cook for 7 minutes until it’s al dente.
- Drain the pasta in a colander and rinse with cold water to help remove any excess starch. When the macaroni is completely drained, put it in a bowl and reserve.
- Put the ground chuck and onion in a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add salt and pepper and cook until the beef is completely browned. Transfer the meat and onion into the colander. After it has drained for a few minutes, mix the macaroni back into the colander with the meat.
- Reuse the pan that you browned the meat in to heat the milk over medium heat. As soon as the milk boils, turn down the heat to medium-low. Scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen the little bits stuck to the bottom (deglaze). Add the butter, let it melt, stirring regularly.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and mustard, mix well. Add 2 cups of the cheddar cheese, 1 cup at a time, stirring constantly. When the cheese sauce has reached a consistent texture, reduce the burner to warm. Add the macaroni/meat mixture and stir until it’s coated evenly with the sauce.
- Place the cream cheese in a bowl and microwave it for a minute on high. Stir it with a spoon and give it more cooking time, if necessary, until it is melted.
- Arrange a third of the macaroni/meat mixture in the bottom of the casserole dish; spread half of the melted cream cheese over the macaroni. Repeat the layering using another third of the macaroni mix then the rest of the cream cheese. Top with the remaining third of the macaroni/meat.
- Place the casserole on the center rack of the oven and bake for 25 minutes. Sprinkle the remainder of the cheddar cheese over the top of the casserole and return to the oven for 5 minutes or until the cheese is fully melted.
- Serve hot.
Sign up for our newsletter so that you can be notified every time a new recipe is posted