Everyone has that one cake recipe that they have perfectly mastered, and mine is the moist chocolate cake. It is my go to cake for testing out a new oven and if the oven works fine, the cake always comes out perfect. Always.
Moist Chocolate Cake
- Beat the egg whites until stiff. Without cleaning the beaters, beat the egg yolks, oil, and vanilla essence.
- Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and salt together. Add the egg yolk mixture and the boiling water.
- Mix well, then fold in the egg whites lightly with a metal spoon.
- Grease and line two 20cm cake tins. Pour the batter into the tins, diving it between them. Tap the pan lightly to break large air bubbles.
- Bake at 350°F/180°C for 20 – 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- When baked, remove from the oven and turn the cakes upside down on a cooling tray. When the cakes are almost cold, carefully loosen around the sides so they come out easily.
- When the cakes are cool, ice the top of one, join them together and ice the top and sides. Cover with crumbled flakes or chocolate curls and sprinkle with icing sugar.
Sign up for our newsletter so that you can be notified every time a new recipe is posted