I enjoy this plain Madeira cake so much that I tend to overindulge sometimes! I especially like to make it when I have guests over, and they compliment it every time. This recipe is great as it is but it can also be used as a base for other flavors too.
Plain Madeira Cake
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and creamy.
- Add in the syrup and eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Sift the flour and baking powder and fold into the mixture. Add in the vanilla.
- Pour the mixture onto a loaf pan and bake for 35 – 45 minutes at 350°F/180°C/Gas 4, until risen and golden brown.
- To stop the mixture from curdling, add a tablespoon of flour as you add each egg.
Sign up for our newsletter so that you can be notified every time a new recipe is posted