Get creative and make these snowy shortbread stars. You can also cut them up into different shapes and sizes for a fun snack for the kids.
Snowy Almond Shortbread Stars
- Preheat the oven to 320°F/160°C. Line 2 or more baking sheets with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the ground almonds and essence. Mix well.
- Sift together the cake flour, cornflour, and salt, no less than 3 times.
- Add the sifted flour mixture, together with the diced almond, to the butter mixture and mix until just combined and the dough comes together nicely. Add 15 – 30 ml cold water if the dough remains crumbly.
- Roll on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of 5mm. Cut the biscuits using star cutters in different sizes, or make all one size.
- Carefully transfer the stars to the lined baking sheets. (They don’t spread out a lot and can be placed quite close together). Allow some breathing space at least. Chill for at least 10 – 15 minutes in the freezer before baking.
- Bake until firm and just starting to color. This should take no longer than 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool until lukewarm before tossing them in the sifted icing sugar. Make sure the stars are well covered in the sugar. Arrange on a wire rack to cool completely.
- These biscuits will keep well-stored in airtight containers. (Freeze them if you’re not going to finish them in about 3 weeks’ time).
- Makes 48 – 60 biscuits, depending on the size of the stars.
Sign up for our newsletter so that you can be notified every time a new recipe is posted