Sponge cakes have a tendency of flopping even when you’ve been careful. I’ve tested a lot of sponge cake recipes and this one has never let me down. It is easy to make and it’s the only one that I use now. I have made it countless times and it comes out perfect every time. You can play around with different flavors, and you can also use it to make trifle.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C, convection setting. Grease a cake mold with oil or butter, then dust it with flour. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs and vanilla essence until they are of a ribbon consistency. Set aside.
- Mix the butter and sugar, using a whisk.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the bowl containing the butter and sugar, and mix with a spoon or spatula.
- Fold the egg in to the flour mixture. Pour in the milk, a little at a time, and mix thoroughly before adding some more.
- Pour the batter into the cake mold then tap the mold to release air bubbles. Bake the cake in the oven at a “Convection” setting mode with the temperature set to 350°F/180°C for 60 minutes. Insert a skewer and if it doesn’t come out clean, return to the oven.
Sign up for our newsletter so that you can be notified every time a new recipe is posted