This classic vanilla cake recipe will make the best vanilla cake you have ever tasted, I promise. It is quite easy to make too. I once baked it for our book club and it was a hit with the ladies. Since then, I have been assigned the role of “baker” in our book club, so every time we have our meetings, I always have to bring baked treats. I actually enjoy this role, as I find baking therapeutic.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Sift the dry ingredients. Combine the warm milk and oil in a jug.
- Gently fold in the sifted dry ingredients and the liquid mixture, using a large metal spoon.
- Turn out into two 20cm greased sandwich tins and bake in a preheated oven at 350°F/180°C for about 35 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack and cool.
- Cream the butter, icing sugar, and essence.
- Add enough milk to make the mixture light and creamy, and of a spreadable consistency.
- Sandwich the layers of cake together with icing, then ice the top of the cake.
- For a different flavor, omit the vanilla essence and add grated citrus rind, fresh citrus juice, smooth cottage cheese, cocoa powder, or coffee powder.
- Granadilla Cake: Add 2 tablespoons of granadilla pulp to the cake mix and another 2 tablespoons to the icing.
- Orange ake: Substitute the milk and water with orange juice. Omit the vanilla essence and add 1 teaspoon grated orange rind.
- Nut Cake: Stir 2.6 oz (75g) chopped walnuts or any other nuts into the batter.
- Spice Cake: Sift 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, and 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves together with the dry ingredients. Omit the vanilla essence.
Sign up for our newsletter so that you can be notified every time a new recipe is posted