This Béchamel white sauce differs from the basic white sauce in that it has black pepper. It can be used as a base for cheese sauce, and I have taken the liberty to include the instructions. When you’re making it, you will need to keep stirring in order to prevent lumps.
White Sauce– Béchamel
For cheese sauce
- Warm the milk on low heat just until little bubbles begin to form at the edges, then remove from the heat.
- Make the roux by melting the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the paste cooks – don’t let it brown – about 3 minutes.
- Add the hot milk, continuing to stir as the sauce thickens. Bring it to a boil. Add the salt and pepper, lower the heat and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes more. Remove from the heat.
- If you are going to let the sauce cool then cover it with plastic wrap to keep a skin from forming over the top.
- To make a cheese sauce, stir in the cheddar cheese, along with cayenne pepper, during the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- The way to get a perfectly smooth sauce is to have the milk hot when you add it to the roux.
Sign up for our newsletter so that you can be notified every time a new recipe is posted